Hello Kitty (ハローキティ, “Harō Kiti” “Hola Gatito,” “Bonjour Chat Petit,” “Bonjour Chaton” “Bonjour Minou,” in Quebec) Hello Kitty is a white, mouthless, female kitten who lives in a seemingly perfect world of hard outlines and bright, primary colors.
She was born on November 1st 1974, in suburban London, England, but there is the very strong appearance of a deep origin, and perhaps genetic ties, to East Asia, especially to Japan. According to various sources,
Hello Kitty is a very energetic juvenile female, she “loves to play outdoors, in the park or forest. But you can also find her happily practicing on the piano or baking a cake, too.”
"Her generosity and kindness endear her to everyone she meets. Her favorite thing is to do tea parties and her hobbies include music, reading, eating the cookies her mother bakes, and best of all making new friends. —Sanrio.com
- 1 Physical Appearance
- 2 Personality Traits
- 3 Symbolism
- 4 Sayings and Slogans
- 5 Artifacts in the Museum Collection
- 6 Chronology:
- 7 Characteristics and FAQs
- 8 Family and Friends Associated with Hello Kitty, Human and Non-Human
- 9 Hello Kitty’s Pets
- 10 Merch
- 11 Super Cute Japanese Graphic Art Motifs
- 12 Influence of "Maneki Neko"
- 13 References
Usually depicted as an outline, with rudimentary facial features—although without any mouth—Hello Kitty has forged an identity based on minimalism and is recognizable to millions of people merely by her eyes and whiskers, which are black—and sometimes the pink dot of her nose—on a white background. A red bow over her left ear completes her facial identifying features. She weighs the same amount as three apples. Her height has been estimated to be "5 apples".
Her favorite color is red. (Or perhaps pink, considering how many objects associated with her are of this hue. Also, her dwelling place at Puroland in Tokyo is almost entirely pink.) Some of her favorite foods include candy, hotcakes, pudding, and her mother's apple pie. She is a Scorpio in Western astrology, and born under the sign of the (Wood) Tiger in Chinese astrology. "Not feeling the need to be in charge, Tigers work well with others. Others enjoying being around Wood Tigers because they’re very giving individuals. They’re compassionate and willing to do whatever is necessary to help others." —Chinesezodiac.com
Hello Kitty symbolizes generosity, innocence, kindness and most importantly friendship. A recurrently identifying characteristic is “she is everybody’s friend.”
Sayings and Slogans
Altho mouthless, Hello Kitty nevertheless has the ability to speak. Some of the direct quotations attributed to her are:
"Hello Kitty says be yourself!”
"You can never have too many friends."
"Hello Kitty—the meaning of friendship"
"To have a friend, you must be a friend"
"Good times are for sharing with friends"
All of the above should ideally be written in pink, or on a pink background. Envision cartoon flowers, hearts, birds, fat bumble-bees, soap-bubbles, thought-bubbles—all of them pink.
Artifacts in the Museum Collection
- Artificial Crocodile Cell Phone or Camera Case with Hello, and Charmmy, Kitty
- Bubblebath Container with Hello Kitty Sitting on a Large, Pink Flower
- Hello Kitty Charms or Bangles
- Hello Kitty Statues and Totems
- Pink Hello Kitty Toothbrush
- 1971—design company Sanrio Co. LTD, headed by Shintaro Tsuji, decided to put cute images on their stationary. At first the characters were outsourced, but because they had to pay a royalty they decided to create designs in house instead. From their own research, they discovered the most popular animal character was a dog, then a white cat and next a bear. Since Snoopy already existed, they opted for a white cat design.
- 1974—Hello Kitty was created on November 1st, 1974 by Ikuko Shimizu. The first product released with her image was a small clear vinyl coin purse, or a "tiny wallet with her face embroidered on its side", that retailed for 240 yen in 1975. Originally Hello Kitty was nameless. However, identity references are important, whether for cats, humans or marketing schemes. “White Kitty” became her first name, after one of Alice’s cats in Lewis Carroll’s book ‘’Through the Looking Glass’’. This morphed into Kitty White due to a mistranslation from Japanese to English. She was first seen as a cat with a little red bow on her left ear, sitting down. However, Hello Kitty instantly attracted respect and love of thousands of people in Japan with its cute design and character, which turned Hello Kitty into an instant celebrity.
- 1975—Hello Kitty's family discovered and described.
- 1976—“Hello Kitty” is found in a new pose. Instead of just a sitting pose, she can now stand up.
- 1977—Apparently Hello Kitty liked the new standing pose, and she decided to try a bit more. She can now sit in a simple plane, piloting it, with her head sticking out. “The school children loved it, even high school students and some adults were attracted to this cute new design.”
- 1978—This time, Hello Kitty was designed to ride a dolphin, along with other different styles such as in a car, in different places, etc. In this year Hello Kitty also learns to dress herself, and is found to have obtained a large variety of different uniforms and outfits.
- 1979—Hello Kitty’s grandparents are introduced.
- 1980—Hello Kitty playing sports! Hello Kitty was in a tennis top and playing tennis. Holding a tennis racket and a ball, extremely cute and adorable. Hello Kitty digital watch was also released and went on sale that year, and more than a million watches were sold. Incredible.
- 1981—The range of Hello Kitty items on sale expanded to telephones and cameras also some more electronic products, which would eventally include cars, and weapons. The first Hello Kitty movie was made, called "Kitty and Mimi's new umbrella".
- 1982—Hello Kitty's outline disappeared! The reason for this is to make Hello Kitty more involved to the background picture. They also made a bit of adjustment to the position of Hello Kitty's eyes.
- 1983—Crosshatched and straight lined backgrounds, with a more US style design attracted lot of people in the US. During the same year, Hello Kitty was named the child ambassador of UNICEF in the US as well.
- 1984—Hello Kitty photo design. This was to make Hello Kitty more realistic and made it seem closer to us. This process was a huge success at the end.
- 1987—Black and white Hello Kitty series. This design was aimed to attract more adults.
- 1988—Crisscross and straight lined background Hello Kitty is back. This design became really popular, and received large recognition from around the world. In the United States, CBS television started to show the first Hello Kitty cartoon on TV, "Hello Kitty's Fairy Tale Theater".
- 1989—English Hello Kitty comic series went on sale in US. This attracted even more fans because the reader could actually get a closer feel to Hello Kitty, it friends, family and life.
- 1990 (or 1998)—Sanrio Puroland, an indoor theme park located in Tama City, Tokyo opened, attracted thousands of visitors a day.
- 1991—Flower series. Hello Kitty was to hold a flower with flowers in the background. It attracted lot of female fans instantly.
- 1992—Fruit series. Hello Kitty was holding a fruit with fruits in the background. The design was changing depending on the season and the time of the year, to match the fruit and the color. It gave the fans a heart-warming feel.
- 1993—Hello Kitty design changed! The bow on her ear changed to a flower, a new start to this new look of Hello Kitty.
- 1994—Nurse series. Hello Kitty in a hospital and in a nurse's uniform! Hello Kitty was named the child ambassador of UNICEF in Japan.
- 1995—Flower series back again. With much more designs and more more colorful.
- 1997—Traditional Kitty design. Hello Kitty in traditional Japan clothing, also in school uniform, beach uniform, wedding gown. Samurai Kitty was also popular.
- 1999—Kitty baby series. This series was created in response to a strong request by young mothers who have been loyal fans of Hello Kitty since her debut.
(From Sanrio Co. LTD, various downloads and blogs.)
Characteristics and FAQs
Hello Kitty was originally to be named "White Kitty" (from one of the cats that Alice kept in the book Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll), due to British culture being popular among Japanese girls at the time of her inception. However, this name was not adopted.
When Hello Kitty's boyfriend "Dear Daniel" was created in 1999, designers took his name from the 1971 film Melody, which starred Mark Lester as a character called Daniel and features songs by the Bee Gees.
When Hello Kitty was invented, British culture was the craze in Japan. As a result, Hello Kitty was made to live in suburban London with her twin sister Mimmy and parents George and Mary White. She also has a pet cat named Charmmy and a hamster named Sugar.
Her hobbies include traveling, music, reading, making new friends and collecting lots of cute items. She especially loves her mama’s apple pie. If you remember smurfs who were 3 apples high, it may bring a smile to your face to know Hello Kitty weighs 3 apples.
Hello Kitty is kept perpetually young although she has an on-off boyfriend Dear Daniel, a childhood friend, who had to move with his photographer father to Africa. However, after a stint in New York, Daniel returned to England and back to Hello Kitty.
Career in the United States: Hello Kitty has held the position of U.S. childrens ambassador for UNICEF since 1983.
Hello Kitty has appeared on products all around the world, including wallets, watches, clothing, fabrics, Polaroid camera, portable cd players, stereos, handkerchiefs, different stationaries, cutlery, lunch-boxes, puppets, plush toys, toothbrushes; the list goes on and on. In Japan, the car company Mira also built a Hello Kitty car, even Hello Kitty cellular phones are available.
Family and Friends Associated with Hello Kitty, Human and Non-Human
- Anthony White—Kitty's Grandpa. He knows lots of neat stuff, and can tell great tales. Also he loves to paint.
- Badtz-Maru is a penguin. Birthday, 1 April. He is one of the few Sanrio characters that is marketed to both males and females. In Japanese "badtz" (batsu) is a term for "X", the cross signifying a wrong answer. "Maru" means circle or "O", and signifies a correct answer. Thus, his name literally means "wrong-correct," and is frequently represented by "XO". Badtz-Maru has many different facial expressions and poses, but he is classically recognized for pulling one eye down and sticking out his tongue, a gesture akin to sticking out one's tongue. Described by the Sanrio Co. LTD as "slightly naughty", he has been a staple character found in almost all stores worldwide. He has been portrayed as an astronaut, motorcyclist, DJ, camouflage monster, basketball player, boxer, and others. A resident of Gorgeoustown, he attends a school called Gorgeous Academy, and has a father who plays pinball. Badtz-Maru attracts lots of attention as he walks his pet alligator, Pochi. He has dreams of greatness when he grows up, but for now he rolls his eyes at his humorous life in Gorgeoustown. His products range from typical stationery supplies (e.g. pens, notebooks, erasers, pencil cases...) to more novel items (e.g. CD players, guitars, license plate frames). Badtz-Maru was the official mascot for the 2006 FIBA World Championship of basketball, which was held in Japan.
- Cathy—She is a quiet and gentle little girl rabbit. She always thinks of others before herself.
- Chi Chai Monchan—A fun-loving little boy monkey with a whirly-curly tail, Chi Chai Monchan lives on a small tropical island in the South Seas where he spends his days climbing trees and eating bananas.
- Chococat—is a black cat with huge black eyes, four whiskers, and like his counterpart Hello Kitty, no mouth. His name comes from his chocolate-coloured nose. His birthday is May 10. When Sanrio releases new Chococat lines, the background colors and designs, Chococat's collar and fur color, and his accessories and friends are often altered. Chococat was originally pictured with a blue collar, but he has since been depicted wearing different colored collars, scarves, and even a lei. Sanrio has also produced new Chococat products that portray him in a greyish-brown color. In the Momoberry version, he is pink with a top hat, bow tie, and cane. Line names are often heavily relied upon in internet sales descriptions. He has “ultra-sensative antena” whiskers, which apparently feature radio waves that keep him “up on the latest news” and perhaps also account for his being, at times, a bit scatterbrained. His friends are Cookiebau, Nutz, Jellybean and the Duckies.
- Cinnamoroll—Born 6 March, 2002, Cinnamonroll is a white puppy with long ears that enable him to fly, blue eyes, and a plump and curly tail that resembles a cinnamon roll. He starred in his own anime movie which was released in Winter, 2007. Some people mistake Cinnamoroll for a rabbit because of his long ears and rabbit-like looks. His friends are Chiffon, Mocha, Espresso, Cappuccino and, of course, little Milk! He was originally known as Baby Cinnamon. http://www.magitek.nu/baby/
- Dear Daniel—(Daniel Star). Described as a “schoolkid” Daniel grew up with Kitty, until his father was posted in Africa, and Daniel moved there with his family. After Africa the family moved around until they ended up in New York, and from there Daniel moved to U.K. to be with Kitty. He has a mother, father, and one—younger—brother. He gave Hello Kitty a teddybear, named “Bear”. Skills & abilities: Daniel is good at playing the piano and a pretty awesome hip-hop dancer.
- Deery Lou—Is known as a cheerful, brown fawn. He lives happily with his friends in the Rainbow Forest. Deery-Lou spends his time playing in the sun, chasing butterflies and making new friends! When he’s really happy, he always swings his tail! An Aquarian, his birthday is January 8th, 2002.
- Fifi—(フィーフィー) Another “schoolkid” Fifi is the most energetic student of them all, and is always running around doing something.
- Flat—is a mouse and a friend or associate of My Melody. They live in the forest of Mari Land and eat almond pound cake.
- Honey Cute—is the brother of Charmmy Kitty, Hello Kitty’s pet cat. It is unknown whether or not—as is the case with so many Sanrio characters—Honey Cute and Charmy Kitty are twins or merely brother and sister. Or why they do not have the same last name. Perhaps they are half-siblings.
- George White—Hello Kitty’s father. He enjoys jokes and is described as hardworking and dependable. He wears glasses and is absent-minded, however, there are no specific instances of his forgetfulness that are used to justify this
- Joey—He is the most popular guy at school. As he is a cute mouse, he is a bit of a butterfingers but top-notch in track events.
- Joey’s Girlfriend—Appears to be female character identified only by her relationship status. Interesting. She is, at least, athletic. Joey’s Girlfriend is “as active as he is and often keeps him running.
- Jodie—A dog with a noggin for knowledge. Loves to study, and wants to be a researcher some day. He is a good example of the animal friends of Hello Kitty that are not pets. In fact, some of these non-human friends have animal pets of their own, Hello Kitty of course, has a pet cat, “Charmmy Kitty”.
- Kathy—a friend, Cathy is a quiet and gentle soul, always thinking of others before herself.
- Keroppi Hasunoue—(はすの上 けろっぴ) Keroppi lives with his brother, sister and parents in a big house on the edge of Donut Pond, the largest and bluest pond around. Keroppi and his friends share his love for baseball and boomerangs. Most often he is seen with his little snail friend Den Den, always tagging along a little behind. In appearnace he is a frog-like anphibian with large eyes, a simple, V-shaped mouth, wearing a striped sweater. Keroppi has appeared in two video games: Kero Kero Keroppi no Bouken Nikki and Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken. Keroppi was created in 1987 and has been “going green” ever since.
- Kuromi (クロミ) is the rival of My Melody from the anime ‘’Onegai My Melody’’. She is a white rabbit-like creature, wearing a black jester's hat with a pink skull on the front and a black "devil" tail in the place of a normal rabbit's tail. In the skewed, alternate reality universe of Japanese anime, Kuromi might appear similar to cartoon characters from the 1920s and 1930s. Goods featuring Kuromi first appeared in Japan in July 2005. She has three image songs all sung by her seiyū, Junko Takeuchi. My Melody’s friendly rival is a tomboy who loves making mischief and causing trouble! Although the majority of these induviduals may appear virtually genderless to outside observers, Kuromi may look boyish, but she is apparently considered “very girly”. She has also developed what may be a unique trait among her friends—a libido—as she is said to be “attracted to good-looking guys!” Kuromi enjoys writing in her diary and is hooked on romantic short-stories. Her favorite color is black and her favorite food is shallots. Fittingly, her birthday is October 31st. In 2009, Kuromi actually kept Hello Kitty and Dear Daniel in a kind of Victorian, haunted-house dungeon and a movement was initiated to “Rescue Hello Kitty & Dear Daniel”. It is unknown if the hostages were released. I don’t know what you think, but taking hostages seems a lot more serious than mere “mischeif” but then again, we’re talking about anime here. http://www.hkblackwonder.com/main_us.html
- Kuririn—is a somewhat casually stylized, hamster-like rodent. Full of “curiosity and spunk”, Kuririn excels at “speed-nibbling and burrowing into unbelievably small spaces”. When nobody else is around, Kuririn and his girlfriend Sakura go exploring for buttons and seeds and other collectible things which he hides in his tissue paper bed. It is unclear what, if any, relationship Kuririn has to “Sugar”, Helly Kitty’s actual hamster. For the sake of clarity we are associating Kuririn with the collegues and friends of Hello Kitty, and not her pets. The distinctions however, are seldom unambiguous. Perhaps, following Hello Kitty’s and Charmmy Kitty’s example, he has a pet hamster of his own.
- Kurousa—Twin of Shirousa. Altho his name means “Black Bunny” he is a small, brown rabbit. Born 26th May (___?). Both he and his twin brother are pastry chefs and live in Bunniesfield, a town or village in a region known as Bunniesland, a location that is home to “lots of other bunny twins”. Of unknown number, these hordes of other rabbit-twins are at present, of unknown population levels. The latter concept is frightening, if considered closely or—indeed—at all.
- Landry is a little boy raccoon born on December 8, 1999. He loves to wash anything he can get his—apparently fingerless—hands on. His best friend is a rubber duck named "Pea". Landry's hobbies include dancing and running on top of his tub, sliding, taking Pea for walks, and listening to music. (Mozart is his favorite). Landry loves to eat donuts, sausages, nuts and ice-cream, but chocolate is his very favorite.
- Little Twin Stars is a pair of characters. The little brother is called Kiki, and the elder sister is called Lala. Kiki has blue hair, while Lala has pink hair (sometimes, Kiki's hair is brown, while Lala's hair is blonde). They were introduced in 1975 and enjoyed popularity in the early 1980s. They make cameo appearances in 2004 on the front cover of Tommy February6's second album Tommy Airline and in her video for the song "MaGic in youR Eyes", and in one of the Sanrio Unico movies.
- Lorry—a squirel-like creature with yellow fur and a green vest, Lorry lives in the forest and knows the forest well. She loves to climb up in the trees and jump around from branch to branch. Lorry is the one who taught Kitty the secrets of the forest.
- Mariah Carey, the popular singer, and Hello Kitty are friends.
- Mary White—Hello Kitty’s mother. “Mama is very loving. She has the heart and soul to look after the whole family and to take care of the house. She is always there to help the children, and always busy and occupied. In her spare time, she loves to cook and bake a cake with her daughters. Mama makes the best apple pies.” —Sanrio Corp.
- Mimmy White—Kitty's twin sister. She is shy, reticent, while Hello Kitty is outgoing. Kitty and Mimmy always spend time together because they are best friends. Mimmy wears a ribbon on her right ear so people can tell her and Kitty apart.
- Margaret White—Kitty's Grandma. She is a master pudding maker. And she loves doing embroidery in her rocking-chair.
- My Melody (いマイメロディ) looks like a rabbit and always wears a red or pink hood. She is especially popular in Asia. She is apparently from a region known as the Forest of Mari Land. She has a mother, father, a grandmother and a brother, Rhythm. She is honest and good natured. Her Favorite hobby is baking cookies with her mother and her favorite food is almond pound cake–which she snacks on with her best friend, a mouse named Flat. My Melody was released in 1975 and the first related merchandise was released at the end of that year. When first released she was the Little Red Riding Hood character in a version of the story featuring all animal characters. The name My Melody first appeared in 1976 and soon the connection to Little Red Riding Hood all but disappeared, with the exception of a series of Little Red Riding Hood-era goods which were re-released in 2000. After 1976, her animal friends, like Flat, Piano, Rhythm and others, started appearing. The initial My Melody goods featured a red hood but as of 1977 merchandise featuring a pink hood was released, which would be the norm for My Melody goods for several years to come. In 1996, during Ichigo Shinbun's reader survey, My Melody came out amongst the most popular characters and as a result standard merchandise started re-appearing as of February, 1997 featuring the original red hood. The pink hood reappeared in 1999 and as of 2000 there were goods released with multiple color hoods. In 2005, an anime series produced by TV Osaka started to air on TXN television stations and spawned a video game Onegai My Melody: Yume no Kuni no Daibouken (おねがいマイメロディ～夢の国の大冒険～). The game relies heavily on a feature of the DS which requires the player to blow air into the microphone of the unit. You guide My Melody through timed levels by jumping and using her umbrella to float around and avoid enemies. The game also has unlockable content, such as music, pictures, and mini games. On March 26, 2008 a special Japanese music compilation album titled "I Love 30—My Melody" from Tearbrdige Records was released with the red riding hood featuring My Melody character in various artwork by groovisions.
- Pandapple—is a boy panda who loves apples. He feels the most relaxed when he is seated in his apple chair in his apple-scented house. Pandapple is always playing with his pet caterpillar Imomushi. He is happy and cheerful, but when it comes to apples, he can be a little picky.
- Patapata Peppy—is an owl-based character created in 1991 but is currently discontinued for unknown reasons. It is notable for being one of the few Sanrio characters that was displayed with a sketchy look. His birthday is August 26, born in Moonrise Forest deep in the heart of the North Woods. It is often seen carrying a cherry in its mouth or nut as they are his favourite foods. This character gained mild popularity and did not have its own anime or cartoon as it was a product-exclusive character. It was created by Matsubayashi Atsushi, who no longer works in Sanrio and has his own animation company.
- ’’’Pea’’’—is the best friend of Landry and is a yellow rubber duck.
- Pekkle—is a small, cartoon, white duck with a blue t-shirt with the letter P on it. He is currently enrolled in tap dancing classes.
- Picke Bicke—is a cartoon mouse, born on January 1 in Sanrio Puroland's Flower Garden and introduced to the public in 1993. He is a small, round, brown mouse with a cream-colored underbelly, long red ribboned tail, and large blue ears, Picke Bicke is as playful as he is curious. He makes new friends all the time, including butterflies and frogs, and describes himself as "100% Mouse". Picke Bicke's hobbies include mimicry and trying to "fly" with his large, wing-like ears, though he never rises more than a few inches.
- Pochacco—is a white dog, or "athletic young pup" with black floppy ears, but no visible mouth. He is often dressed in athletic attire. His personality has been described as ‘’sporty’’ and ‘’playful’’. He is basketball player and goalie. He love carrots and banana ice cream.
- Purin—is a golden retriever dog character first introduced in 1996. Purin (or Pudding Dog) was born on a sunny day in April—the 16th—in 1996. He is a good natured, male, golden retriever dog. He may or may not be a neutered dog. (He may not even be old enough for this.) Purin lives in his own basket at his owner’s house. His trademark is his brown beret that is always on top of his head. Purin's interest is collecting shoes, which includes his owner's father's leather shoes, his owner's mother's sandals, etc. He likes to hide them. Purin loves drinking milk and eating soft food and pudding that his mother makes. He also spends a lot of time sleeping or hanging out with his best friends. Purin's best friends include a hamster called Muffin, a mouse named Scone, and a bird who loves to steal Purin's hat.
- ’’’Sakura’’’—is the girlfriend of Kuririn, and is possibly also a hamster-like rodent, altho we are not sure.
- ’’’Shirousa’’’—”White Rabbit”. One of the twins known as “Sugarbunnies” (see: Kurousa). Shirousa is a white, bunnie-like creature with floppy ears and stylized sticking indictating that he is perhaps a plushy and not a real rabbit at all. Either that or he has experiemented in creative tatooing or body scarification. His birthday is the 26th of May (___?). “Kurousa is kind and laid-back. He's always concerned for his brother. Shirousa is stylish and full of fun. He tends to be the leader of the two.” —Sanrio.com
- Spottie Dottie—was born March 21, 1990. She is a Dalmatian dog and is a fashion expert from New York City. She can be usually spotted wearing a trademark pink bow and frilly pink dress with roses. Her father was formerly the "Chief Fire Dog" with the New York City Fire Department and taught her that helping people is the most rewarding part of life.
- Sugarbunnies—are twin pastery chefs, or sometimes confectioners, boys, see: Shirosa, and Kurousa. As well as being patissiers they are also described as “geniuses!” altho we feel that this probably refers to their baking abilities rather than membership in the MENSA society. They live in Bunniesfield along with lots of other bunny twins. They have dreams, or thought bubbles, that appear over their heads in the form of flowers and ladybugs. Their friend is Sophia, a French, human girl, to whom they teach pastry-making.
”Shirousa and Kurousa are master confectioners with a magical touch. Their sweet shop is the most popular in Bunnyland because, no matter who you are, once you bite into a Shirousa-Kurousa creation, you are filled with happiness. At night, they use a secret portal in the back of their oven to visit our world and spread happiness here, too! While the rest of us are sleeping, they are busy visiting neighborhood sweet shops, where they make sweets until the sun comes up. So if you find yourself smiling after eating a candy or pastry, it may well have been made by the sugarbunnies!” —Sanrio.com
- Tracy—(トレーシー) He is a perky little raccoon who is often up to some harmless mischief. He appears in a green jumper, and is often shown waving his hand, or paw. And, like so many of the individuals in the Hello Kitty orbit, he is described as “everyone's friend” and one who “loves to joke around with everybody”. Hopefully, his “mischief” will not include hostage taking, as in the case of Kuromi, Hello Kitty and Dear Daniel.
- Tippy—a friend of Hello Kitty, is a bear, or plushy bear-like creature with a blue vest and yellow bow tie, Tippy is a strong, reliable, loving and kind-hearted bear. In times of trouble he is always there to help. Tippy is “strong and kind-hearted”. And “this big lad wants to be Kitty's number one beau”. We don’t know how Daniel, Hello Kitty’s main romantic interest, feels about this.
- Thomas—Thomas is “very energetic and known to be busy as a bee”. He roller-skates wherever he goes. A multi-colored bear, he is described as a “schoolkid”.
- Timmy and Tammy—(ティム & タミー) Timmy and Tammy are brown monkey-beings, one with a bow, and the other with a blue jumper. They are the brother and sister team of entertainment. They are very friendly and always show new things to make people laugh.
- Tuxedo Sam—Sam is a plump blue and white penguin, universally ackowleged as “cute” who wears a red bow-tie and a round white sailor cap with a red ribbon. Born in the South Pole, Tuxedo Sam is a “roly-poly penguin who speaks both Penguinese and English”. Due to his aristocratic background, you will always find TuxedoSam in a tux. He even boasts a collection of 365 bow-ties!
- U*SA*HA*NA—is a female bunny, very young, who loves to show her happy dance to everyone. She is known for her unique rose, cute eyes and happy smile. She has been described as "darling".
- Yuko Yamaguchi—is Hello Kitty’s designer.
Hello Kitty’s Pets
- Bear—is the name of the stuffed, or plushy, bear given Hello Kitty by Daniel Star. Bear perhaps does not qualify as a living, non-human pet. Or does he? The distinction is a slippery one when dealing with the friends and pets of Hello Kitty, and is currently being researched.
- Charmmy Kitty—is the pet cat of Hello Kitty. Thats right—a cat with her own pet cat. Isn’t that enslavement? At first glance it appears to be almost kinky or incestuous or something, until you realize that, in the words of Sanrio Co., Charmmy Kitty has “more cat-like features” than Hello Kitty. So that makes it okay. I guess. Charmmy Kitty is a persian cat, described as well mannered and a good listener. She likes objects that are bright and sparkly; possible symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. She shares a birthday with the evil Kuromi, the 31st of October, 2004.
Charmmy Kitty has a younger sister named Honey Cute. Charmmy is a white, female cat, and resembles Hello Kitty but has more cat-like features. Her name came from the English word "Charm" as she wears the key to Hello Kitty’s jewelry box around her neck. George White gave Charmmy Kitty to his daughter, Hello Kitty, as a gift.
- Chibimaru is a puppy. He was introduced to the world on February 2, 2003. He's very curious and does tricks for a hobby. He spends time inside his owners bag and goes to many places. He is one of three triplets, the other siblings being Chidi-Maru & Chifi-Maru.
- Chidi-Maru—brother in a set of triplets to Chibi-Maru and Chifi-Maru.
- Chifi-Maru—brother in a set of triplets to Chibi-Maru and Chidi-Maru.
- Imomushi—is the pet caterpillar of Pandapple, an apple-loving panda bear.
- Moley—Perhaps not a pet in the truest sense, Moley is a small and shy mole living in Kitty's garden. Unknown gender.
- Sugar—(A Hamster) was given to Hello Kitty by Dear Daniel.
Super Cute Japanese Graphic Art Motifs
Influence of "Maneki Neko"
- A Malaysian girl complains about her wedding food on her blog